PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2002, 03:43
407 Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, it seems that I have one supporter in Lama Bear. Lama, it appears you conduct ops in a similar way to us.
The Parks Canada system is completely TC approved and legal Heedm, We'd like to call on you and your twin engined aircraft with hoist and all of your expericence, but for a simple sprained ankle above Lk Louise at 830 PM, You're no help....you're just too far away from us. We can do the job quickly, and at a fraction of the cost. Cost, unfortunately, is an issue in this day and age.
Local knowlege of these mountains is also a factor, I personally have over 21 years in this area. We do what we have to do help people, and in the almost 30 years that Parks have been at this game, there have been no incidents. Our pilots are very experienced it mountain ops, and are extremely good at vertical reference. The volume of rescues do not pay for a dedicated aircraft, the aircraft in the Parks system do all jobs, but are immediately available to break-away from charter ops to conduct a rescue.
I'm not saying our system is the answer, I'm saying it is a system that does work, under the circumstances.
I will be here in YGE Heedm, drop by for a coffee or soda when you ferry through, we're in the big brown hangar at the south end of the ramp...Alpine!