PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2002, 20:49
tecpilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

As said in my opinion hoist operations are more variabel and easier compared to fixed line.
But the advantages of fixed line are the following: the whole fixed line stuff is easy to transport in a single small bag and the normal 3 man crew (of course well trained) is any time ready to activate the system. That means for example from a car crash site if necessary direct to mountain or rooftop rescue. The system is much cheaper than a hoist. Costs depends on the number of rescue missions. Heedm is part time right. Transfer time should be not to long. But that's a question of the operation area, conditions and patient. Have made an extraction of a patient localized by a ground unit 4 weeks ago on a freezing day. After the 20 minutes we needed, the online rescuer and an observer standing on the BK's skid, checked themselves for frost bites. We have no negative experiences with spinning (line lenght). "Load" swinging is first hand a question of crew skills. But depends on the wind and line lenght. Have said "crew" because CRM is really decisive, especially communications. A single rescuer on the line isn't so good. On the transfer he will be turned backside forward and couldn`t see the insertion site and obstacles. Unfortunately sometimes there is no other way. With two or three rescuers it's much better. Best variant i think, is the patient in the rescue bag between two rescuers. An electrically heated and pilot controlled mirror is absolutely recommended! Please dont`try such missions on the end of the helicopters performance. A good amount of available engine power makes all guys feels better. To John Eacott i will try to collect some pictures and words in the next days and email you.