PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2001, 10:26
Out of Balance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scat,

I did not say that SAR/EMS pilots in Australia do what they do because of a macho attitude. The 'macho' attitude that I refer to prevails within the helicopter industry in general, although I do know some SPIFR SAR/EMS pilots who believe that they can do everything themselves and largely ignore their crew.

If you want an example of that attitude in the EMS/SAR industry look no further than Rockhampton.

You and I both fly SPIFR EMS/SAR because that is the way we are told to operate by our employer and it is sanctioned by CASA. If I were to say that I didn't want to fly that way any more because I think it unsafe I would be invited to look elsewhere for employment.

The Bell 412 is certified as a SPIFR helicopter and probably operates very well as such in the charter/offshore market flying from A to B (although I think you will find that most offshore operators fly two pilot - because it is safer).

Flying it in bad weather at night to a remote, unlit and unfamiliar area and attempting to land on a road or hover in a confined area to carry out a winch is a different matter.

Of course, it is up to the individual pilot's judgement, however it is allowed in our Company Operations Manual and is recognised as part of our job description.

The military would only consider this type of flying with lots of planning, two pilots, NVG's and a daylight recconaissance. We are expected to do it with a quick response time, single pilot with only a Nitesun, after being woken at 2am. I personally believe that our type of operation would be safer operating with two pilots.

There have been accidents in the SPIFR SAR/EMS industry here that may not have occured with a second pilot. There are also many more close calls that largely go unreported. I for one have had a few and if you are saying that you haven't, then you are either telling fibs or have not been flying SPIFR SAR/EMS for very long.

[ 05 August 2001: Message edited by: Out of Balance ]