PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R22 Corner [Archive copy]
View Single Post
Old 8th Jan 2005, 17:47
fulldownauto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used the term retreating blade stall. Look at the context. I clearly wasn't referring to high forward speed retreating blade stall.

What we're talking about here, and I can't figure out why this is hard to grasp, is the effect of cyclic movements when the rotorsystem is near stall. That's it! Just a moment in time. Not a sweeping rethinking of how engine failures should be handled.

In the context it was in (read the SN, they mention "This causes the retreating blade to stall first") how could you possibly think I was referring to high forward speed retreating blade stall??

We can have intelligent discussions about theoretical situations without confusing people as to what they know to do and actually thinking people would misinterpret what is said here and apply it to when they have an engine failure. We're all going to do as we're trained and have experienced.

Back to the points. Since my Socratic method hasn't worked, I'll say what I think. I think that any cyclic movement when the rotor is near stall is not good. Keep it centered, and if you've got the collective full down, it's just a matter of waiting till the aircraft descends fast enough for the RPM to start building.

Thanks,

James