PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R22 Corner [Archive copy]
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2004, 07:18
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr S: I don't think our exchange is helping the original poster get a reply. However, you state

"At 10 knots (even backwards) there is very little parasite drag but a large increase in Effective Translational Lift, compared to 0 AS."

EFFECTIVE translational lift doesn't kick-in until about 16 kts. However, plain old TL is present at lower AS but not effective. So our poster (who was hovering, if I can remember back that far) would not have been receiving any noticeable TL in a 10 kt wind.

There is no doubt though that hovering a 22B downwind does take more power - even though the TR is operating in clean air.

YELLOW ARC - agreed. That's the way I have always flown a 22 - keeping the needle out of the yellow. Full carb heat below 18" = noticeable power loss. But above 18" (and particularly at near max power hover) carb icing is unlikely. In the UK we get weather conducive to carb icing about 12 months a year - the real danger zone is not having carb heat pulled on at low(er) power settings. Practise autos and training circuits are high workload times for students - and equally the most obvious times when carb icing is going to occur. And that shows up in the stats.