PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European pilot unity
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2001, 05:25
bigbeerbelly

Cool

I am glad that I started this thread. It really gives me the impression that most pilots in Europe are lackadaisical about what a strong pilot group can accomplish. I can infer from the numerous posts that the words "strength in unity" fall on deaf ears to the average European pilot. I would really like to hear some posts encourageing the pro-union attitude from a European pilot's standpoint. In regards to those of you who say that it is people like me who cause crashes and that not talking to the scab is dangerous, I ask how? If the sterile cockpit extends to cruise flight as well then is it not even safer than chatting about friends, family, policy, or reading a magazine. I do not mean that it is now a one pilot crew. The scab does his job and you do yours, you just do not talk about things in between. My company does not have non-union pilots. Most people have never been to a union meeting though. That is ok, they are silent members. They pay their dues an do their job. But pilot's who want to have a retirement plan, company paid vacation, the chance to bid for their monthly schedules instead of just an assigned line, get paid actual block instead of just scheduled block yet are unwilling to give up 3% of their pay are the scum of the earth and rightly called "scabs" They may think that the union does nothing for them at the moment, but the countless contract negotiations that preceeded them are what they should be willing to cough up 3% for.