PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R22 Corner [Archive copy]
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2001, 20:51
Lu Zuckerman

To: RW-1

Either you are spring loaded to the pissed off position or, your “G” spot is very easily stimulated. Also, calling me a “Dumb MF” on an open forum doesn’t speak well for your own level of intelligence. How are you going to function as an EMS pilot? According to many posts on Just Helicopters it was stated that the Pilot of an EMS helicopter must bend over backwards to accommodate the ideas of his associates. They also stressed CRM. If you carry the same attitudes displayed on this forum into an EMS environment I doubt if you will last very long.

You stated that I need to prove my theory. That is not a true statement. What I am asking, is that you or any of my detractors disprove my theory by performing the test and to provide the list of questions (above) to the mechanics that maintain your aircraft.

What others have told me is basically a repeat of what Frank Robinson stated in his reply to my comments. That does not constitute criticism it is simply the parroting of what FR said. It can be likened to a man that claims to have twenty one years of experienc but under examination it was determined that he had one years experience at twenty one jobs.

Another point you seemed to have missed is that the statements I made in my report, which is what prompted these various threads, have changed. This is due to the back and forth of these threads that forced me to reevaluate and reformulate my theories.

Although the theories have changed the basic premise of the 18-degree offset has not changed.

When I stated that when the pilot pushed forward cyclic from the rigged neutral position I did not consider transverse flow effect. In encountering transverse flow effect the helicopter will roll to the right. To counter this, the pilot will introduce left cyclic which will counter the right roll. It stands to reason that once the helicopter is through the transverse flow effect the helicopter will roll to the left if the cyclic is not moved to the right. Now, for once don’t jump up and down saying no-no-no and try to visualize what I am trying to say. I stated that the 18-degree offset would introduce a left roll or at least cause the helicopter to move in a leftward direction. The pilot inputting left cyclic to counter the right roll is masking this whole phenomenon. Is it even a bit possible that in moving the cyclic to the right after transiting the transverse flow effect that the pilot has also corrected for the left roll caused by the 18-degree offset?

Another question you have not responded to is your explanation of how the 90-degree phase angle that is described in your website can relate to a Bell or any other helicopter and not to the Robinson R22 or the R44. Use your own words and not what Frank Robinson said. You stated that other things effect phase angle. Just what other things are you alluding to? Again, use your own words.

Regarding my attending MS, I went there because they accepted all of my credits from NW Michigan College in Traverse City. I really wanted to go to U of M but I didn’t have enough math credits. How do you feel about UCLA? I attended UCLA in order to get my teaching credentials in four subject areas. One of those subjects was Aircraft and Aerospace Technology.

On your website you stated that you were associated with six different helicopters and one fixed wing aircraft. All of this according to your Bio was in a SAR capacity. Just what was it that you did in performing you duties that gave you such exposure and I assume your wide technical knowledge that allows you to be so critical of my ideas and theories. One other point, I didn't know that the US Navy used the HH-65. I was under the impression that the USCG was the only military force that used this helicopter. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

Regarding the acceptance of my theories, how about this? For two years, I managed a training program for the US Army. As a part of my duties, I taught helicopter flight theory and the flight control systems on three different helicopters. I also taught rigging procedures. I taught a class in flight theory at Fredrick Junior College A&P program and, I taught the same class at Ivy Tech State College in Indiana. Nobody questioned my presentation nor did they say I was wrong.

At Fredrick Junior College they had a Bell model 47 as their training aircraft. It just so happened that it was hangered with an R22. This allowed me to put both helicopters side-by-side and explain the differences between the two. I showed them the 18-degree offset and they fully understood what I was talking about. Why can’t you understand?

Oh yes,when you were two years old pointing your finger towards the sky and saying,"Jet" I was manager of technical assistance for Bell Heicopter International overseeing the product support of over 900 helicopters and fixed wing aircraft.

Please respond but without vulgarities.

------------------
The Cat

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 02 January 2001).]