PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Robinson R22 Corner [Archive copy]
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2001, 02:54
Lu Zuckerman

To: 212 Man

What you say is quite true. With a single rotor helicopter like the R22 or, R44 there is minimal interlock between the rotorhead and the mast. As such, the angle of the disc is much greater than that of a multiblade rotor system with offset hinges and a much higher interlock. This would place you in a condition that could degrade into mast bumping. The problem is, the Robinson had to demonstrate this situation in order to get a certification. If the condition that you described above was in fact true and I think it is, then the mast bumping or something approaching mast bumping would have been noted. According to Frank Robinson one of the tests he ran was to fully instrument the rotor to determine flapping angles. If he did, then this too would have uncovered the possibility of mast bumping during a side slip.

However, it is my opinion that Mr. Robinson added his comment about exposed sail area when flying sideways as a red herring.

In my report I questioned both Robinson and the FAA if these tests were actually completed and if they were successful. He never answered.

What it all boils down to is if the tests were required and if they were in fact completed to the satisfaction of the FAA the FAA now says that you can't perform sideslips or fly out of trim.

------------------
The Cat

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 01 January 2001).]