PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2006, 20:06
HeliComparator

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Steve, thanks for the offer but I am not around until after the 23rd when 212 has promised me a copy, so I think I will wait for that. From what you say it sounds as though there is quite a lot of "duplexity" in the system but are there any single failures that would cause a problem? I am thinking of a failed slip ring brush, open circuit on a blade heating element etc. And in fact a failure on just one blade would be really bad news owing to the out-of balance.

As I have said before, under some circumstances full deicing is not only safer but probably essential. However in the N Sea the conditions are such that we seem to cope safely without it. In my time (25 years now - old git!) I cannot remember seeing a single incident report, or hearing of anyone getting into significant trouble due to icing. No-flying days yes - a few each year of course, but that is not a safety issue.

By contrast Nick, the floatation system has been required a few times!

Given the choice, from a personal viewpoint I would of course rather have the system, just as I would rather have any other toys you care to chuck in, to play with or to make life less stressful (ACAS, digital map, autohover, though perhaps not TAWS), but de-icing doesn't seem to make economical sense to our clients so we do quite happily without it.

When CHC Abz get their 92 into service (and perhaps when BHL do the same) it will be nice to have de-icing as standard, but on the other hand you lose the ability to carry 19 passengers with baggage and full fuel - life remains a balancing act between fuel and passengers, something which in 225 world has been banished.

HC