PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2005, 09:07
Mr Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S92 Icing Clearance

This Toad is easily confused, but I know many others will know the answer and tell me. So here goes:

The S92 is now certified by Transport Canada and the FAA (and they should know, shouldn't they?) for flight into known icing conditions when fitted with the Rotor Ice Protection System. As I understand it this protects main and tail rotor blades; plus of course there will be the usual protection for pitot static, TAS, windshield and engine/gearbox intakes.

However, isn't there a likelihood of ice accretion on the fuselage, the upper control runs up to the pitch-change horns, the aft stabiliser and any other bits that stick out? Also when your airframe is in sub-zero temperatures and you get rained on from above (yes, it can happen) you WILL ice up; you must hope to be able to escape pdq while remaining within the rotorcraft limitations. No fun.

Did I miss the point or is there some other protection means on the 92? After a lifetime of not always dodging the ice I guess I'm not easily persuaded. Seems a bit like the Emperor's clothes to me.