PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2005, 11:27
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The word around about the engine out was that a fuel valve leaked, and in a suction system, air flowed in and cause the engine to quit. Had it been a conventional fuel system with boost pumps, fuel would have been leaking into the cabin, with the possibility fo fire. Basically, the system worked as it should, I heard that the aircraft was at gross weight, and low speed, and it flew out handily (a credit to the crew, who did all the right things.)

I Fly 92's, it is a not true that the n/rev vibration is somehow due to a rotor that has a problem. All rotors vibrate, at about the same vibration energy, as determined by their hinge offset and the number of blades. After making so much about the 5-bladed 225, the French added a system of force generators in the airframe structure of the same design as the S-92 and the new Black Hawk. Vibration is actually due mostly to the way the structure handles the vibration energy, and how it has areas of high and low vibration (nodes and anti-nodes). The wider and more open the fuselage, the more likely it will transmit the vibration easily, and require more vibration treatment.

I did hear that an S-92 had cracks at one of its vibration absorber locations, true enough, but these were airframe in nature, in an airframe that is entirely redundant in strength. Still required design attention, you can bet.