PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 10:28
Blackhawk9

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Makila Turbine Burst v CT7 Turbine Burst

If Turbomeca have come up with a casing that will hold a turbine burst ,I would be supprised ! Iwas in Norway when the engine on a AS332 L1 exploded ,the first engine blew into the second engine which blew as well and cut through the 3 main flightcontrol rods under the number 2 eng and thru the fwd suspention bar the A/C never had a chance, the problem was caused by a Xmsn vibration , leading to shaft failure takingout the overspeed protection an BAM! The Makila is an old design engine which keeps getting stretched , I put it in the same class as the CT58, it is read drive with a short PT shaft which is hard to balance, and hard to put O/S control on, The AS 332 i think is only one generation ahead of the S61 and although a very good A/C can not be put in the same group technicaly as a Blackhawk let alone a S92. The 2 latter Sikorsky A/C with the CT7 series fitted have widely spaced engines with with little chance of a catostrauphic of one engine taking out the other, or any main flightcontrols, only T/R rrive and T/R control cable are at risk.
The CT7 is a front drive engine with a long P/T shaft which is much easier to balance and install O/speed protection on, basicly the CT 7 series is about 20 years ahead of the Makila series and are not in the same class.
P.S. sorry about the spelling i left my dictionary at work!!