PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-92: [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 8th Jul 2003, 09:39
AirJockey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying the S-92

As one of the lucky chap`s I must say the S-92 is a mighty impressive machine to fly considering it`s size.

The cockpit is very clean and gives you a fantastic field of view. The instrument panel is quite low compared to Bell, SuperPuma and other Sikorsky machines, but the information you get on the liqiud crystal screens are so geniuosly set up that your scan goes to only one primary screen for nav. info. This screen has ADI, RMI, VSI, ASI, TQ, TGT, RadAlt, Radar, TCAS and a few other things. Fantastic!
The other screen cover oil press. hyd, fuel, MGB and other warnings. The cockpit is therefore quite clean and has less switches and buttons than a 737.

Taxi is done with ease. When hovering this 26000lbs machine it shows itself as a very stable platform.
During pedalturns, sideways, backwards taxi and piruettes the machine is so stable that you might think the testpilot next to you are at the controls, but no, this was my machine.

During takeoff we climbed at 1500`fpm with around 25000lbs.
At 1500`we leveled of and set 86% TQ. which gave us a good 148 kts. Vibration are minimal, but noticable. This was being adjusted as data from flights came in and they would make the neccessary adjustments to the counteractive vibration system.

During cruise the test pilot showed me the one engine out traning mode where the computer makes the machine belive it has an engine out and adjust the other engine parameters according to a real engine failure. The way it works is that on the primary display the N1 counts down from the 30 sec. limit, then you reduce collective to 2 min. limit and thereafter max continuous. All the parameters are shown in red, and yellow colour and changes as the time runs out, so you really can not screw up. The computer tells you what to do!
I was otherwise impressed by the stabillity during high speed
turns and power adjustments. You can pretty much put you feet on the floor and let the autopilot control the yaw channel. Any input from you will more likely screw up the trim.

There were a few things I`m sure Sikorsky will adjust like the seat cushion and adjustment. 4-8 hr`s a day requires a better seat. I was told the engineers are on the case. Some of the autopilot functions should also be transfered to the collective or cyclic stick for IFR ops.

Noise in the cockpit is an important issue. It`s therefore nice to know that the cockpit and cabin have only 78 db. This allows you to talk without your headseth without any problem. I know since I`ve tried it from both seats!!

There are no question in my mind that this will be the best offshore/passenger transport helicopter in the next decades to come.

Job well done Sikorsky