PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European pilot unity
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2001, 15:42
Tritanic

bigbeerbelly,

I'm astonished by your revelation of US carriers treating non-union members in such a derisory manner.

In the "original" land of democracy and freedom of speech, I would have thought it the god given right of every man, woman and child to have their own valid opinions and express themselves in any manner they see fit, and positively un-constitutional to force them to join what are essentially subversive, anti-constitutional organisations such as unions.

As a hard-working, free-thinking individual, I don't consider it unreasonable to be allowed to stand up and fight for my OWN rights, express my OWN opinions and speak my OWN mind.

To be compelled to join a group which speaks on my behalf, tells me what I am, and am not allowed to do and say, and forces me to accept standards below that which I would normally accept, is , I'm afraid to say.. Communism!

In the United Kingdom, less than 30% of all employees (not just aviation related) are part of a Union. The main reason why people join unions in the UK is to protect themselves from 3rd party insurance claims.. not to protect themselves against the company they work for. Back in the 60's & 70's during periods of far left-wing communistic government, there was considerably more union membership which WAS anti-establishment, but that was MOSTLY erradicated during the latter 20th century under conservativism.

It would seem that with the return of labour strength to our country, unions are becomming more powerful again, but it is to the detriment of democracy, and I hope we have a VERY long road to run before we get the segregation that you seem to have acheived in the USA.

I pity you.