PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tuna Spotting, tuna boat ops (incl Guam)
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2006, 14:58
rotorboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,
I think I have stated in the past that the list you have is very outdated and probably doesnt have a single correct number.

Fishing has changed. Laws on forigen pilots have changed.

It is my understanding you will have a very difficult time on a Mexican Boat. You must be a Mexican National to fly a X reg or get a Mexican Lic. At one point there were many EU's flying off the Mexican boats , but no longer. Some of the SA countrys are the same now

You may want to drop a line to 3Top, he could probably fill you in on Panama, and what boats have aircraft still.

Part of the problem is many of these boats no longer have helicopters, the heyday of Tuna is gone, and it is not economical to use the chopper. Also other technologies being used.
My Fuel truck drvier here in Mexcio, worked the boats for many years as a pilot/eng. We were talking about this the other day and many of the Mexican boats dont have helicopters any more either. On a recent flight down the pacific coast, I saw many parked seiners, sin helicopters.

Also not to sound pesimistic, but your chances of getting on a boat with 200 hrs , well are slim to none. Most companys in the Western Pacific want 1000+ and some's insurance now require 2000+. Many of the boats in Central and South America run r22/r44 and look for pilot eng types and experience on type.

Buena Suerte

RB