PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76 [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2005, 16:44
Hairyplane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angle Grinders

A simple scenario -

Ugly blokes in rigger boots, resplendent in tattoos and earrings but not many GCE's - and definately no hard hats, goggles, ear defenders - on price-work to erect a steel hangar frame.

They dont give a stuff where the red hot particles they have ground off go. 'Its bound to make a bit of dust guv'.

Take my advice. If any construction of this nature is planned at your airfield, ask the operator what measures are in place to protect aircraft from damage, specifically from welding/ angle grinding fallout. Most important - people need to be protected too. A Health and Safety Statement is mandatory these days. Ask to see it. You have a right to see it if there is even the remotest chance that you might be at risk of injury.

As previously stated, these particles will still cause significant damage a long way from source.

In the case I mentioned it was because of the distance that the cuprits struggled to accept the damage was down to them.

I have personal and painful knowledge of the damage angle grinders can cause too.

On my own site here, a mate of mine was grinding off some bolts ( he had all the kit on!) and I walked into the end of the building he was in just as he switched on.

I suffered eye discomfort for 6 months thereafter - tried everything to get rid of that 'bit of grit' in my eye - and in desperation went to the vet.

He found 2 deeply embedded steel particles - embedded because they had burnt their way into my eye. He told me that I was lucky to have avoided an infection - something that would have cost me my eye without a doubt.

I had not connected the 2.

Take it from me, having your head clamped in a vice like contraption, your eye clamped open, an anaesthetic needle stuck in it and then - horror of horrors, seeing a scalpel blade 'up close and personal' and feeling it digging into your eyeball.

The pain was excrutiating for 24 hours afterwards. Ugh!

Sorry if i've put you off your mince pies.....

Hairy.