PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76 [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2004, 03:21
Mr Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rjsquirrel -

Yes, but what will you prove? Only that cockpits are noisy, and the bean counters prefer it that way.

I believe you have to prove a loss of human performance and a resultant degradation in flight safety to the Regulatory Authorities to make headway on this problem. At the moment ships and aircraft are exempt from most Health and Safety Regulations in most countries and the Authorities find the helicopter industry too small to bother with. It barely arises in planks anyway so why bother?

Human Performance can be scientifically measured before and after flight; but like all research it needs funding. There are NO fairy godmothers around.

flipcelia -

I recommend that while working along this line, you and your colleagues buy the best headsets you can afford as an investment in your own sanity; wear them anywhere an engine is running; and ask your engineering department as nicely as you know how if that set may be used in THEIR aircraft - PLEASE! Cos you'll have to wait awhile for the beancounters.

I admit that ; I wish you luck.after a lifetime of helicopters, this subject is close to my heart