PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76 [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2001, 09:14
Harry Peacock

Location: Little colonial airfield in the land of prawns, beer & roos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I've done much sim work and instruction on Sea Kings around the world and have found that with any stuck position for the tail rotor setting min power speed (70 kts ish) and putting the ball in the middle by raising or lowering the collective will give you a stable wings level and no yaw situation BUT with either climb or descent! In a climb the secret is to use airspeed to change the power requirement in your favour without changing the collective which is balancing tail thrust.

If the a/c is climbing try reducing air speed and/or rotor speed to get a comfortable ROD and run on speed and set that on finals for a constant speed landing. Further reduction of rotor speed may be needed to settle through the ground cushion and to keep straight once on the ground but as run on should be in the region of 20kts or so should not be a problem.

The descent situation is a bit more of a challenge. Min power speed will give you lowest ROD but high ground speed, there may be 10 kts or so that can be reduced without the ROD increasing too much and this may be sufficient if you've got a runway or big field. A slight increase in collective will also improve things but will cause a yaw, counter this with a little wing low aircraft maintains heading but is sideslipping, if a cross wind runway is available a cross wind landing may be tried using the wind effect to counter the sideslip.

These procedures work in the sim across a wide range of stuck yaw settings and give options to try in varying amounts. Always try the approach profile at height giving room for adjustment/recovery if you start to lose it.

The above is the condensed version of an article I've written for military flight magazines after some useful info from pruners amongst others, any one interested in a copy give me an e-mail address at [[email protected]]
& I'll send one

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: Harry Peacock ]