PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sikorsky S-76 [Archive Copy]
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2001, 02:02
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Based on what I have heard instructors say in both factory and military schools I would say your instructor didn’t know of the engineering screw up mentioned above or he was repeating what he heard when he went through the school.

Here are a few examples.

An instructor was covering the rotor system on the Sikorsky H-37. A student asked what would happen if a blade broke off. These blades weighed around 260 pounds and the centrifugal loading was around 72,000 pounds. The instructor responded that the blades being able to lead and lag would reposition themselves to close up the gap left by the departing blade.

A Bell instructor was conducting an orientation for some Iranian mechanics and he told them that most of their helicopters were Agusta Bell and that they were constructed in Augusta, Georgia.

Having been a technical instructor my best advice is to challenge your instructors and make them dig for the answers. They are not always right and as a result the students don’t always get it right and cause a lot of damage.

I was on a tour of Army bases checking on the students that had passed through my classes at Fort Eustis, Virginia. At Fort Knox I visited an H-34 group and while there I passed through the hangar. A mechanic was getting ready to rig an H-34 and he was connecting his hydraulic power pack to the aux servo system. I cautioned him that it could cause problems and he should connect to the primary system. About that time his sergeant came out and jumped me for telling his mechanic what to do. I told him it would cause problems and by that time a major came out asking what was going on. Both the sergeant and I explained our positions and the Major asked the sergeant if he was sure. He said yes and the mechanic turned on the power. There was lot of screeching and cracking. When the aux servo centered itself it jammed the rigging pins in the servo support casting. The pins were supposed to be Monel but the sergeant made them out of steel so they had to be cut out. I told the Major that he had just bought a Cadillac and I walked away. I don’t know what happened to the sergeant