View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2001, 14:10
offshoreigor

It's not just an adventure....
it's just a job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool S76 T/R Jammed Pedals/Cable Failures

This might be a good topic for Nick.

I was at FSI a couple of months ago and for the first time since I started flying the 76, I was shown a very simple method that can be applied to either a "Rotten Right" or a "Lucky Left" pedal jam/cable failure.

Apparently this procedure is based on Sikorsky Flight test data from the original 76 program, but for some strange reason, it was never incorporated in the RFM.

Basically all you have to do is once you level the A/C and assess the condition, reduce A/S to 80 KIAS and set your Q to 40%. This will provide a wings level, ball centered condition. When setting up for your approach (run on landing) set 60 KIAS and 30% Q, this too provides a ball centered, stabilized descent for approach at about 350 fpm down. After crossing the threshold, set 40 KIAS and 20% Q (results in about 100-150 fpm) ball centered and stable.

If rotten right was the culprit, brief the PNF, on your command after touch down to slowly retard both throttles to maintain center line. Lucky left, I found you could slow to about 30 KIAS and run on NO PROBLEM, however you can still retard the throttles to keep on C/L.

My question to Nick is, why do we have to get this procedure from FSI and why isn't it incorporated in the RFM? Surely that is better than having a different procedure for every condition.

Hope to get some input from those who are interested.

Cheers OffshoreIgor