PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2006, 13:20
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Doctor, it's those flashbacks again...

Anyone who had the luck to be able to follow the developments in the Viet Nam War (or whatever it was supposed to be called) must remember the way things ramped up from raggedy peasants running around using bamboo spears and bolt-action rifles to a full-scale war, albeit one still sold to the general public as raggedy peasants, etc.

Meanwhile the corrupt regime in Saigon just seemed to be not too bothered by the rather inevitable and looming end.

Here we go again, eh?

I remember chatting with one Niger Delta abductee who told me his captors passed their time, 'smoking ganja, wrestling with each other and cleaning their weapons.' I didn't mind the first two but that last one sounded a bit worrisome. Not to diss whatever professionalism is on display from the various Nigerian security forces but most of their weapons I saw were filthy!

On a larger scale, one couldn't miss the fleets of junked helos and half-sunken patrol boats. Too, the way that C-130 went in just a few miles after take-off didn't inspire much confidence. While individuals may be fine soldiers, sailors and airmen, the military as a whole doesn't seem to be well-led or supported. Good for stomping some mud-hut village flat but for a serious fight? Hmm...

I don't think there are any magic gizmos that can sort this one out.