PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2006, 16:23
3D CAM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Now that this thread has stopped being a p.....g contest between Sikorsky and Eurocopter, I feel it is time to throw in my two shillings worth.
Dillon, the Whirlwind had long gone by the time of the Fastnet incident, the Wessex was the major SAR asset at that time but your point is still valid. In this game size does matter. However, the argument goes back to the early 70's. Two incidents off Cornwall, the Lovat and the Merc Enterprise made the SAR 'higher ups' realise that the Whirlwind had passed it's sell by date. It was replaced by the Wessex which in time gave way to the Sea King and S61. Sorry for the history lesson but it is important, given that the MCA do not seem to remember it. For the Whirlwind read the AB139 for today.
Special 25, you are 100% correct in saying that this requirement should always use the worst case scenario. The chosen aircraft has to be able to not just lift the "bent diver" and his buddy to "the pot" but also evacuate as many people as possible in one sortie, from a damaged/sinking Ro/Ro ferry, at maximum range. Could the 139 have carried out the job of two days ago in the Channel? Ably performed by the Lee S61 and filmed by Chivenors' Sea King. ( I knew they were there for something! Sorry lads, just jesting.)
The MCA appear to have gone for the "shiny new helicopter" rather than thinking of what is realy needed on the south coast. The S92 should be used at all MCA bases. That would make the crewing so much easier and cut down on the spares supply requirement. But then that may be too logical.
Neither the S92 nor the Ab139 are actually flying in the SAR role yet so 2007 seems a trifle optimistic as a start date for this contract.
There is still no real data about the AB139 on this thread yet so one can only assume that it is not up to much. Or have CHC Netherlands been sworn to secrecy in case the cat gets out of the bag too soon?
One final point.
Portland is not daylight only. It is on call, at 15 minutes readiness the same as all other units, from 0900 until 2100, 365 days a year. It was also one of the busiest units in the UK until our friends in Light Blue at ARCC got involved last year. (But that is another story, Jobs for the boys??)
There, I feel better now that is off my chest.