PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2006, 16:06
Hippolite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UK Coastguard SAR - Bristow out??

Sousa T

If you have ever seen the 15 pax configuration in the 139, you would realise that only dwarfs or contortionists would manage to get in to it. 12 configuration is ok but more "economy" than "first class" though.

In SAR configuration it will obviously be different. My main concern at the moment is lack of a simulator and no HUMS available until 2008. That, in my view, is a bit of an oversight on the part of BA or AB. I would love to see some empirical fuel flow vs speed/range data from the offshore operators to see what it can really do.

I don't know how much of a difference using the 139 vs the 61 will be but most of the SAR in the south is shorter range and smaller numbers, generally speaking. Bell 212s were used in the NS for SAR for quite a few years and I don't remember cabin size being a huge issue. The speed and new technology will hopefully be an advantage over the 61. I haven't flown it so I can't comment on its stability in the hover.....perhaps someone who has can sare their experience with us all.