PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops
View Single Post
Old 12th Jan 2006, 15:39
Sousa Teuszii

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UK Coastguard SAR - Bristow out??

Hi all. Ive been an avid fan of this site for a while but had to reply to the cries for info on the AB139. So here goes the first post:

The AB139 I feel will be a very capable aircraft for SAR.

It has a high cruise speed. Cruise limited to Vne of 167Kts because of a plexiglass windscreen which is due to be changed.
The cabin is adequtely large(upto 15 Pax in commuter config) with a very big sliding cabin door.
Rear stowage for SAR equipment is good. Stowage is provided in tail with internal and external accesability.
Single engine hover is very good. SE HIGE @ MTOW
Payload is adequate but due to be expanded to 6400Kg
From a pilots perspective the systems are excellent and the handling also excellent.

Concerns would be as follows:

SAR systems are now only being developed for 6 UAE SAR machines.
The aircraft is designed as a coporate aircraft and I feel is a bit plastic with potential to break with one ill placed boot.
The maintenance TBOs are very very low. Agusta will give contracted TBOs at the projected level of future TBOs but the aircraft badly needs to get some serious hours flown on it to see how this pans out.
No pressure refuel. Seems odd for the wet and windy nights.

Finally in my opinion the biggest problem may be the Italians very laid back attitude to getting things done. With Bell involved I would have felt more secure about time frames and deadlines. Now im not so sure.

It must be remembered though that this machine is about to start earning its money in the North Sea and has 18 months before going on SAR.
Personnally Id like to give it a whirl in the SAR arena and see how it performs.