PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAR: Search & Rescue Ops
View Single Post
Old 6th Jan 2006, 00:19
Reflex

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UK Coastguard SAR - Bristow out??

OK guys - the important thing here is that the SAR guys will have a machine that IS certified to fly in anything but freezing rain.
That is an undeniable step forward and exactly what the crews need to do a job that doesn't get any easier.
Having an APU is, in my opinion, another benefit as you get everything excepts the RIPS before you've even got the engines started. This means the FMS etc is pointing you in the right direction even before you get the NR to 105% and better still you're warm enough to think straight - every little helps.
Now a question for Nick. In a conversation I had with Ron Doeppner we discussed the required parameters for the icing trials. He was fairly definate that Sikorsky and/or the FAA had asked the DGAC how they had certified the 332 family. I know what he told me the answer was, but I'm a little nervous about making that public - I'll bet you aren't.
Now let's all enjoy the technology in all our machines and just be glad that the coastguard guys have joined the 21st century, especially when we need them for us!