PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rating: R44 v B206 Jetranger?
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2002, 20:51
Copter Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an R44 pilot, I have my pros and cons. For me, it doesnt really matter having the sound of the turbine spooling up. Key or starter button I could care less. The 44 is an exceptional machine, high VNE, extremely nice aircraft to fly. My problems is that it is not a good corporate aircraft, only three seats avail. and barely any luggage room, tough to pull off an OGE with 4 men and tanks topped off on a 100 degree day.

The 206 has some room for luggage and everyone likes the turbine for reliability, but the fact is, though there are much less 44s flying around then 206s, the 44 simply has a lower engine failure rate per 100,000 hours, the O-540 has been proved exrememly reliable. Blades in the 44 and 206 are very similar, they autorotate very similar, its very easy to grease the 44 and 206 on in a full down. (the same cant be said for the 22)

With reagards to cost, turbine means big bucks. Acquistion, hourly, maintenance, parts, and overhaul are all very expensive. I believe the 44 has the 206 beat fare there.

I think the Raven II is a great helicopter for many misisons and I love flying 44s, but the 206 will always fit in some areas better, like transport, long line.