PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Primary Glider
Thread: Primary Glider
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2006, 08:07
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I flew the Bicester primary while on my Instructor course - as most of my course mates did. I took the wimps option and aerotowed to 1500' - very refreshing after a hot summer's day. Those who took the more heroic winch launch had fun trying to get back to the launch point after 700' max. Not so much a 'glider' as a 'plummeter'. The 'primary streak' was an option offered to us, but no one wanted to be towed over Bicester town at 200' completely naked.

We also dragged the AV36 out of the hangar. I got to soar it. It went up like a dream, but the handling was horrid. By heaving back on the stick you could 'flick loop' it. A very lightweight mate of mine got snatched off the groung by an enthusiatic winch driver. At about 300' the cable back released as the pitch got to about 80 degrees, the thing flick looped and he managed to compose himself enough to land staright ahead. He was a gibbering wreck and had to be lifted out of the thing. I seem to remember that a certain CFI who hated the 'Budgie' accidently ran over the wingtip with a tractor before anyone killed themselves in it. Many years later, someone in my PFA strut mentioned he had bought the wreckage of a glider and would I fly it when restored? It turned out to be the dreaded Budgie. The answer was no!