PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mountain Wave Question
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2006, 02:12
Monopole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VH-FTS,
Sorry to have hijacked your post like that, but hopfully through the errors in my original post your question has in facted been answered.

Renurpp, Cloud Cutter and Lord Snot
After a good nights sleep I am almost embarrassed to have read what I was saying . I can't even hide behind the excuss of having consumed a few ales

I had mistaken the little 'red line' on the IAS as Vyxe. I fully agree that you do not want to fly at Vymca.
Cloud Clutter
This is excactly what I was trying to elucidate.
If you have a best rate speed of 68 knots (for given conditions/weight) you will not get extra ROC an ANY other speed. The problem you're eluding to, is not knowing exactly what your Vy is, and yes, you could work it out by experiment, but you should have a good idea given the Vy at MTOW, and the current aircraft weight. In the example you've given, 65 kts IS the Vy speed for your 172 given the conditions - by deffinition (even though 68 kts may be the MTOW Vy given in the flight manual).
I was trying to point out that most flying schools will have only 1 speed for Vy Vx on there A/C type notes they hand out to their students. As a consequence, new pilots tend to become a 'puppet to the numbers' without understanding where the performance figures had really come from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monopole
Well, if I had an engine failure on TKOF and there was an obsticle in my way and turning was out of the question, well then yes, as best angle RoC I will fly it.

"....at the first indication of an engine failure during climbout, or while on approach, establish Vyse or Vxse, whichever is appropriate. (Consult your Handbook or Flight Manual for specifics)."
And hopefully with that I can redeem myself as you can see that while I was incorrectly saying 'RED LINE', I was in fact thinking Vyxe

Thanks for pulling me back into line
(as I put my head down and quietly sit in the corner)