PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay vs FedEx
Thread: Cathay vs FedEx
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2006, 01:08
J32drivr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of it depends on where you live, where you want to live, and (in my opinion) how many years you have left in the biz. I'm a little biased myself, but Cathay has a lot of various opportunities that Fedex cant offer. The chance to fly pax or cargo, quicker upgrade time for us US based guys, the housing allowance when you move to HK (think free equity). Also, Cathay has more bases to choose from, and when you make the transition to the pax fleet, you can TDY yourself (for 2-4 months) to any of the other domiciles and literally "see the world". However, with Fedex you will definetely make more money, at least at this time. But here's the big thing, IN MY OPINION. Cathay (and the Swire Group) is very closely tied with Hong Kong, and always will be. As long as China is a growing economy, Cathay will continue to be involved and capitalize on that. Fedex is an american airline. My only fear with Fedex is that as time goes by, the same thing might happen to Fedex that has happened to the legacies-growing costs and continued outsourcing (with companies like Gemini, etc.). ESPECIALLY when Fred isnt around anymore and the company is being run by excecutives who dont have that "personal" attachment to it, and are there only to make themselves richer in the short term and bail out at the expense of the employees and the overall health of the company, just like the other heroes running US airlines. Cathay management may make some unpopular decisions sometimes, but I don't see them ever sacrificing the company. PURE SPECULATION, but something to consider, especially if you have 20+ years left. Again, I AM a little bit biased myself