PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agusta AW139
Thread: Agusta AW139
View Single Post
Old 7th Jun 2006, 00:01
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SPIFR? Not really. Any mature EMS Oz organisation will have trained the up front crewman to assist the pilot, and in the case of some organisations, are trained to use the autopilot in the event of pilot incapacitation. Sound CRM and situational awareness training (like IF procedures, LSALT, sytems, etc) can mitigate the need to have two sets of controls. They are pretty well trained to do everything else anyway.

What strikes me in the buy is the focus on larger machines. QLD is generally a vast and remote state, with population centres heavily weighted to the coast. Wouldn't more, smaller machines be the better model? QLD may not suit more small machines....thoughts anyone?

I'm thinking EC145 or A109G at say Brizzy, Oakey, Rocky, Mackay/Whitsundays, Cairns, and long range bigger machines like 412, EC155, S76 or 139s at Townsville and Brizzy. Show me the money!!!

Having a 412 or 139 hovering over you for a rescue can be a dangerous thing. Timbered country, dust areas, in the water, in a liferaft, or clinging to a cliff - that downwash is no friend. On the other hand, going from remote hospital to hospital (why isnt a fixed wing employed?), that range and payload is fantastic. Is QLD suited to smaller more frequent models, or is big the only solution?