PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2005, 03:25
Flingwing207

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Nick,

Yep, I'm just a poor ol' head CFI trying to thread the briar patch between reality and what's printed in the textbooks we still have to answer to come checkride time. Since it was OVC002 all day, I got to engage a couple of my instructors in a discussion of this very subject, trying to find the balance.

We decided that if you get the "uncommanded yaw", you have just that. a yaw. If you react promptly and correctly and stop the yaw, it was not LTE. If the yaw stops on its own, not LTE. However, if you respond promptly and correctly but cannot stop the yaw, you have LTE (this still keeps us safe with the FAA). If you don't respond promptly or correctly, then you goofed - and the result cannot be truely classified as uncommanded (even if the first bit was) - hey you had your chance, Tex.

So if Sammy Schweizer gets his tail pushed around by that 12G20 tailwind, but ends up facing the wind going "wha'happah?", not LTE.

Rebecca Robbie gets sideways on a steep approach but stomps the left pedal and stops things, not LTE.

Joey Jetbanger starts seeing the word go 'round while OGE and downwind, and full left pedal won't stop it, LTE.

I agree that it is not altogether appropriate to call low-RPM induced "unstoppable yaw" LTE, but at that point, it ends up the same - (even if you initially screwed up by drooping the RPM).