PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 5th Oct 2005, 02:31
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thoroughly agree with Nick here about the procedure on how to baby the aircraft and blame yourself when it all goes wrong! It was the same on the Skycrane thread: LTE is thrown about with such misunderstanding that it has succesfully hidden a design flaw in a shroud of aerodynamic faux-legitimacy! (I think I shoud resume drinking after that phrase - sorry!).

What green thumb describes is most assuredly not LTE, but that is the only one we can rule out from the description thus far. Without more info, we can only rule out LTE, we are left with Loss of tail rotor thrust, Loss of tail rotor control and LTA. We have a high power demand, with adverse wind direction ?? at relatively high DA (approx 4560 ft - plus humidity?) More questions are still required: was there any rotor droop? If so, was this due to N1 limiting, or governor malfunction? If not, was the tail rotor being driven (or just windmilling? The tail rotor was spinning - but was it powered? Were the t/r control mechanisms functioning? Was it a hydraulic event? Sounds like he held the load and crashed the aircraft? Was he able to move the aircraft away from the ground people, but not the load? Did he have the cargo release system active?

And others will bring more to the table I am sure.