PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 2nd Dec 2004, 23:33
NickLappos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATN,
I certainly don't want this to become an us and them thing. I believe that the servo strength of virtually every helicopter I know, civil and military, does not show any jack stall in regions anywhere close to the operating envelope. This 350 discussion is teaching me plenty. I do believe that many/most/all of the helicopter world (British, US, Russian, etc) has grown past the need for the pilot to worry about having his helo take control away from him in most maneuvers.

Collective Bias, that S-55 condition you mention is most certainly stall related servo load, but happens at or beyond Vne, and to an aircraft that is arguably three generations old. If jack stall was only experienced at Vne in 1949 (S-55 first flight Nov, 1949!), one would have hoped we stayed the same or got better in 55 years!

I did the servo adequacy tests on the S-76, and took a loaded S-76 to Vne, turned off one servo system, then maneuvered to 1.7 g's to clear the aircraft for certification. Not a hint of jack stall, believe me.