PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2004, 18:00
matador

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown over 3000 hours on AS 350/355 series and landed most any kind of place, I donīt dare to explain WHY is so hard to do a soft/Bell type of landing, mostly on hard surfaces, like concrete or others alike, but my two cents on HOW to deal with it are trown in:
It's a nice trick to land moving a bit forward as it is to put the wheight on the right aft skid and maintain it in that position until the bouncing stops, then really easy on the cyclic, put the rest of the right skid on the ground, maintain again without stirring the pot, and low collective to land the left skid. I find that if you want to land without feeling that frustating sensation of rebounding on the right skid first and then on the left, due to a really stiff landing gear (cross tube), you have to go through three fases:
1.- Right hand aft skid
2.- Right skid
3.- Left skid
If you donīt move the cyclic nothing more than strictly needed, you might get a soft landing out of every 10 tries.
Good luck
P.D. In the other hand there is no better landing gear to do toes or partial landing in stones and other weird places in mountain terrain IMHO.
Buen vuelo