PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2004, 07:34
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my days flying the D model, lo these many years ago, ISTR that the answers are Yes and I can't count that fast.

I always tried to keep my hands as still as possible and my feet moving as fast as possible - land the thing using the tail rotor instead of the main rotor for precise positioning. But nobody alive can set one down gracefully every time. Most of the time, but not every time; eventually it will embarrass you. I've never flown any flavor of B model, and never one with a high skid gear, so those may be different. If the fuel tanks are baffled now, that's a big improvement, but I only noticed that in cruise, the notorious AStar shuffle. When landing, I was always moving things faster than the fuel could move in the tank, so the inertia never seemed to build up.

I loved the space between the seat and the door. When I moved into the AStar from a 206, all that space was wonderful. I finally had a place to put my bag where the pax couldn't get it and take it downstairs with them. 140 gallons of fuel, speed to get somewhere before burning all of it, a heater, a defroster - hell, I was in paradise. A little twitchiness in landing was only a minor annoyance. The hand grenade LTS101 built by Lycoming was what worried me. Those who still use them say they're much improved now, but the offshore operators abandoned them long ago.