PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS350 Astar/Squirrel
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2001, 03:06
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

round & round & round &..............

Lu some answers for you:

1. The LIMIT switch is fitted on the twin (I have never seen it on the single) on a servo. It illuminates a cockpit warning light only, no bells, whistles or voices. The action required is to "reduce pitch or open out the manuever (i.e. relax the G)"

2. An actuator supplied by the LH HYD system is fitted to the end of the servo control. During flight, when the load is below an preset value, the servo pressure keeps the piston against the upper stop and the light is off. If the flight load on the servo control exceeds the limit threshold, the microswitch is actuated and the light comes on.

3. NONE of this is relevant to your statement that it jack stall is "unacceptable".

4. I have never heard of anyone getting jack stall other than during aerobatic manuevering (prohibited) or demonstrating it during endorsements. You need to be taken up and shown this how violent the manuever has to be before you reach incipient jack stall. It is unsettling. The again Lu, you COULD just believe the experienced pilots who are all telling you it is not an issue.........

5. You ask why pilots accept these seemingly dangerous limitations? This is easy Lu, they ARE NOT dangerous. More fixed wing guys die through stalling close to the ground than ever even see jack stall demonstrated (let alone experienced). Should they immediately ground all fixed wing?

Actually, thats not a bad idea.......

6. The "someone" who said they dont have their eyes in side during harsh, high G manuevering was me. Can you not look back through what has been said? If you were going around a 60mph signposted corner in your car at 100mph, would you have your eyes inside reading the speedometer? Perhaps not. Understand?

I'll say it once again (in case you cannot read previous posts):
Is this a design flaw compared to the Bell teetering head which will come off under negative G if not handled IAW the POH? Or compared to fixed wing aircraft which will stall and spin if not handled IAW the POH? Or compared to Loss of Tail Rotor Effectiveness in the B206 if not handled IAW the POH? You getting the picture?

The AS350 is an outstanding aircraft. Enjoy it's huge capability and dont fly it against the POH - like EVERY OTHER AIRCRAFT.

Edited for spelling

[ 06 December 2001: Message edited by: helmet fire ]