PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you find most annoying about our job???
Old 6th Jun 2006, 15:43
Groundlover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turroncin
did you think all that power smiling and what would sir like to drink and would you like ice and lemon etc etc etc etc was SINCERE?!!
Yes of course a tongue and cheek response, but still you are in the service industry and therefore a high level of service should be adopted no? Don't get me wrong, of course any repetitious task can get under the skin but surely that is to be expected no. You have a plane full of passengers who, which for me as a business traveller (not suited and booted - I look like Jesus on a good day and Liz Taylor on a er.. bad one) is the only time I can switch off so sometimes I'm not gonna hear what you said to the pax in front. I do feel sometimes that the Western CC mentality, like other service industries in the Western world tend to feel less obligated to make the customer as happy as they could be. Not all the times, the monitory in fact but it is evident more than say SQ, CX and alike, which I feel has a more consistent level of service. Maybe a little robotic at times yes and maybe lacking the irony and great brit wit but it does make me feel that I am valid for being on board rather than being told, like I was the other day 'why are drinking so much' when I am only a second V&T. Not the way to make me feel very comfortable. Or when I am on LH watching a movie in the upper deck with my headphones on and a steward barking TEA at me because I didn't hear the first time. I don't adopt my travel characteristics to what CC want me to do (apart from safety demo and alike). I expect CC to be sympathetic to me. If I have just paid £4K+ for a full J fare (and price should be irrelevant anyway) I don't expect to hit the munchies galley middle of night and be barked at
'what do you want?'
'well I'd like an apple please'
'they are for club passengers only' in a dismissive manner
'and?' in a questioning manner i.e. and your point is
'where are you sitting' barking at me again
'in 4E' F Cabin
she looks away and lets me get on with my apple nicking (what do they call that again, when you go round to nick apples - can’t remember)

My point is there have been numerous times where CC frustrations from either problematic pax, tiring schedules, hangovers from the crew hotel last night out etc spill over to the pax that isn't going to give you a hard time, is just sitting down peacefully, not ringing the call bell, paying attention to the safety drill. God forbid I don't put my tea cup on your tray next time and am deplaned with a 'Minger' farewell. We're not all bad you know.

And one other thing (and yes I am waffling on now, boring myself even). I know you guys and gals aren't just there to serve bloody tea and coffee. You are there when there is an emergency on board and are trained to respond accordingly. I respect that completely. I am well aware of emergencies seeing that I was in such situation when I landed in Narita in 1994 with an engine falling off the wing and scraping the runway ablaze. The CC were remarkable.

Please don't ruin my impression of you lot. I love being on board and being greeted with a smile, no matter how propped up). I love being made to feel welcome and dare I say it 'special'. I love great service and a banter and what I think has unnerved me a little is that there are so many of you on this thread that seem pi$$ed off by such petty things. Irritating yes, but still a bit petty. Now if someone is rude then I reckon wack em with a hairbrush but please don't label us all the same otherwise I am just gonna be on tender hooks everytime a CC member asks me something for fear that I might not respond correctly.

Best / Groundlover

Originally Posted by Turroncin
We do have fun other wise we wouldn't do it, however this thread was made so would could have a giggle and moan about it with people who know what it's like. I'm sure you must have a moan about your job and have things you hate about it, lighten up. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/245/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image002.gif[/IMG]If not stick to the SLF section.
In response to your rather curt remark Turroncin, I like any other participant on Pprune have every right, like yourself to air my point of view. I may well have been in the air a lot longer than you and as I mentioned above have also been in an emergency situation. I think it is equally important to listen to other peoples points of view as long as they are constructively written. Your 'them and us' overtone only compounds how I feel about 'some' CC. Being told to 'lighten up' when your retort was somewhat defensive in response is a little like calling the kettle black and implying that I should only be participating in the SLF if I don't like what I read is just bloody rude. It is yours and my prerogative to say something on these boards if we feel compelled to do so. It is NOT however your prerogative to tell other posters what and where they should browse or comment.