PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind
Thread: Wind
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2006, 15:27
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem - no offence taken. I do see your point, though.

With regards to new students, I totally agree that strong winds are not the right conditions to get them started. But the vast majority of trial lessons I've done have not been people who are planning on learning to fly. A quick chat with them before the flight will very quickly reveal exactly what it is they are trying to get out of the flight.

It's not just the wind which might make it unsuitable for a particular student to go flying. Sticking with trial lessons, if the weather is generally poor, but there's a clear bit around your home airfield (seems to happen quite a bit at Blackpool), it's not suitable weather for someone who wants to fly over their house in Blackburn, or who wants a scenic view of the Lake District. But it's perfectly acceptable for someone who wants to learn to fly, or even someone who's not planning on going on to take lessons but is more interested in experiencing being at the controls rather than seeing the sights. It all depends on the individual - but if there's any doubt, there's no doubt, you stay on the ground.

FFF
------------------