PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair
Thread: Ryanair
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2006, 14:34
Leo Hairy-Camel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Stormin' Norman goes off piste.

The pressing need here is for organisations such as BALPA to represent your interests
Well hello, Norman. Not like you to wet your beak in Ryanair affairs. Must be feeling a bit perky after your little pay rise. Now for all those pesky "lifestyle issues", eh? Do let me know how you get on, won't you, turning your loss making Orange Airline into a career one?

Meanwhile, a few salient points for you to reflect upon. Much as I know how disinclined you are to absorb tales of success in the market we share, and much as I know you're a dyed-in-the-wool union apologist, it really doesn't do, Norman, to rattle the cage with untruths and bluster. Engaging the likes of Delwy, our Callow Aloue and Didimus in a rousing chorus of "we shall not be moved" does you no credit and is naught more than preaching to the choir in any case. Misery loves company, after all, which is why unions exist in the first place, no? And all this from an Captain of Easyjet, an airline with a market cap of a piddling 1.36 billion quid, trading at an eye-watering multiple of 32.5 times, facing unhedged fuel north of 70 bucks a barrel for God knows how much longer and losing money at least six months of the year! Wow, Norman. Now that's truly courageous solidarity for ya!

Naughty of you not to mention in your BALPA recruiting campaign that your Orange Trolley Dollies are warming up for a summer of discontent because they want what the pilots got. July, isn't it? Naughtier still not to mention that BALPA are, to put it mildly, selective champions, Norman, and will drop you faster than an Arab's used condom when the mood suits or a more pressing cause presents. Just ask those long suffering F/O's at GSS how they feel about BALPA when a direct conflict with their masters at Willy Walsh Airlines raises its ugly head. The truth is always such an inconvenience, Norman, when doctrine and dogma collide, isn't it.

Thin Albert, as you've probably gathered so far, there are a number of folks hereabouts who like nothing more than to cast aspersions on Ryanair in an attempt to denigrate it as an employer. They have what you might call a vested interest in trying to make sure people stay away from Ryanair, and they do this by telling fibs. They also like to suggest that Ryanair is somehow responsible for everything from third world debt to athlete's foot, and that all the Ryanair pilots are very unhappy and hate their jobs. They aren't, and we're not.

Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm a Ryanair captain and I can tell you life is good. I earn a mountain of dough for doing what I love and the 5 on 4 off deal is tremendous. Its on the table for all new entrants, and yes, you'll have to do your 4 days annual recurrence training on your days off, but perhaps you, like I, will decide that its a small price to pay for 4 days off in a row. Feels more like a part time job, actually. Ultimately, Albert, make your own decision, but do make sure its a fully informed one, and not unduly flavoured by a vinegar-titted vocal minority who wouldn't know happiness if it drove up their arse in a truck.