PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Day in the life of a "Lo-Co" Pilot ...
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2006, 12:47
aw8565

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really thoroughly enjoyed the post's on here, especially the problems that Pilot Pete faced (if that doesn't sound so mean?!) I say this only because I work on the ground in Ops and have to deal with EXACTLY the same issues affecting departures and arrivals but from a COMPLETELY different perspective...

It's interesting to hear these issues from the pilot's point of view, and I have to admit to 'forgetting' that you guys have to actually think about getting your flight physically off the ground, and not just away from the gate, which is when people like me lose interest and start thinking about the next one...!

Pilot Pete, I think there are some very good despatchers out there and some very bad ones that can cause problems rather than solve them. Not sure what can be done about them but talking to a despatcher friend of mine on the night shift last night (as we drove around the airfield looking at planes!) he said something that made me think:

He is not trained to do loadsheets for all flights, only those with a 'manual' loadsheet. On most flights he phones load control, tells them which printer he is stood next to and they send him the loadsheet which he gives to the Captain. He confessed that he doesn't really have anything to do. His job is to make sure everyone else does what they're supposed to do. It mystifies me that some despatchers can struggle with this!

Once again Pete, very enjoyable read. Add one more to your captive audience. Give us a wave if your're overheading Gatwick...