PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Wizwheel, time to say good bye?
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2006, 10:44
Superpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink The Wizwheel, time to say good bye?

Some bad points:

1.) Extremely difficult to use in the air, when work load is high.
2.) Navigation side impossible to use without a pencil (and pencils do like getting lost)
3.) Incredibly difficult to learn for new generation of (computer savvy) students who have never seen anything so archaic.
4.) Innaccurate.
5.) Too big in some cases.

Things I've often heard:

1.) The navigation side helps you to "see the triangle problem much more clearly" - So do some electronic devices.
2.) It's the only thing that can help you when your batteries run out or the electronic computer stops working - I can buy an additional battery, I can buy two electronic computers. I've never had an electronic handheld device fail on me. Ever.
3.) An electronic flight computer makes you lazy - It does not make you lazy, it reduces the work load which is key to safety and learning other aspects of flying.

The wizwheel (analogue flight computer) is an outdated, over rated navigation/calculation tool which is only used these days due to cob wridden oldies not understanding the benefit/ease of use of newer electronic devices.

Discuss.
(Sorry didn't mean to be rude, just extemely passionate about this subject. Thanks )