PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EAST LONDON TRA
Thread: EAST LONDON TRA
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2006, 07:15
headsethair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking as a muppet who DID read the NOTAMs and was operating at Epsom, I have to say that I find the whole Epsom ATZ thing to be vastly over-rated.

I counted 10 movements Friday. On Saturday there were 38 helis carrying pax and 3 206s doing pleasure flights between races. There were no multiple shuttle flights as far as I could see.

This needs an ATZ ? This needs new heli routes ? This needs widespread disruption to London airspace ? Epsom is in uncontrolled airspace - a simple unicom and ppr system would suffice.

However, the "Muppet of the Year" award (so far) goes to the R44 owner who landed solo on Saturday at Epsom. Keeping his engine and rotors running, he stepped out of his machine and commenced changing into his morning suit. In the struggle to stop putting both his legs down one side of his trousers (and nearly falling over), he failed to notice man in hi-viz approaching........and the logo on the hi-viz was that familiar CAA sign.

Yep - the inspectors were in. Couldn't hear what was said because the engine was revving its balls off. He had selected "clutch out" whilst still standing outside the helicopter.