PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Geoff''s love letter.
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2006, 06:29
Jetsbest

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts
Assertions, perception management, politics, spin , posturing ...

Call it what you will, but:
- assertions are not necessarily truths,
- perceptions are subjective,
- politics is not personal (although this letter gets close),
- spin is always spin, and
- this is certainly posturing.

So, let's look at a few extracts. (a small take on the condensed views of perhaps many)

Re AIPA's "negative and confusing information". Confusing to whom? I get it, and I think a lot of AIPA members understand the negative feeling too.

Re the court cases and "...conciliation...concluded without any progress being made." AIPA newsletter of 31st May explained more hearings later this year; it's not over.

Re AIPA "objecting to the QF & AirNZ ... codeshare services...". Explained in AIPA newsletter of 24th May. A strong feeling is that the present threat to reduce services will actually happen anyway, and to an even greater extent if the codeshare goes ahead. I quote "The alternative to codesharing is a reduced Qantas presence on the Tasman, as reflected in our recent decision to reduce Qantas services between Sydney and Auckland from 5 to 4 flights per day, with effect from 1 September 2006". What does that sound like to you?

Re AIPA's "elusive dream of a Group Opportunity List..." and "The Group has absolutely no intention of agreeing to these things." followed by "[each of the QF group] pilots will continue to have their own separate agreements, tailored to the distinct features of each business." Why then is the Australian Airlines pilot contract still continuing if the 'distinct features' of that business are no longer viable?

Re "AIPA's prescription for the Qantas Jetstar relationship looks .. like the failed model..[tried by]... US legacy carriers with their discount arms, ...". How so? Please elaborate in light of AIPA's position that Jetstar is not unnecessary, but that AIPA would like to participate, not on management's opportunistic terms where apparently Jetstar pay is their 'line in the sand' for future growth, but rather one that acknowledges that reputations are not built on the cheapest bidder even though QF pilots are still not the most expensive among our competitors. (NO.. that's not a J*-pilot sledge...Ryanair and Southwest are very well remunerated!)

Re AIPA's view that the QF/JQ career opportunity MOU is 'all but a dead letter'... it certainly appeared to be until recently. The early QF-JQ transfers were mostly A320 endorsed people for quick promotions, some of whom went to Singapore. The subsequent and more recent honouring of the agreement seems to have come only once certain resolve was applied.

Re fuel costs, change, fundamentals, strategies, efficiencies etc... same old.

As was said somewhere else 'No wonder I have no faith in the credibility of any of the pronouncements made by QF management. That view might change if 'they' could start leading by example, telling me the truth without spin, getting serious about letting the staff help, and stop transferring costs from one part of the group to another for what appears to be more about industrial leverage and expediency than 'staff engagement'.

Tinee, AIPA is you and me among many. I know I can work with the company. I've floated proposals in bar chats and more official channels but huge inertia exists on the flight ops management side of the fence too. I'm inspired by the truth, the facts, leadership by example and a recognition that we shouldn't need to be in court to expect the company to honour its undertakings.

And Lancer, I'll raise your R.A.I.S.E... What would be your response to a captain (ie management) who has been R.A.I.S.E.d (ie through the AIPA election last year) and then tells his subordinates 'Get stuffed. Your input, expertise, reputation and our 'good working relationship' is now inconvenient so pull your head in'?

When QF executives demonstrably benchmark themselves against lesser-paid peers in more profitable competitor companies, when fuel is accepted as a cost for all airlines and not just QF staff and when 'the Jetstars' actually stand alone (ie without QF subsidies) I will STILL be there with bells on working for the success of the company and my career. It will just feel better to be doing it without patronising corredspondence such as we've just received.

The foregoing is merely one person's perception. Any resemblance to a substantial body of opinion is purely coincidental.

Last edited by Jetsbest; 6th Jun 2006 at 08:31.