PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mountain Wave Question
View Single Post
Old 6th Jun 2006, 06:26
Monopole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok.I thought I might open a can of worms here, and for that I am sorry .
I'll see if I can explain better what I was trying to get at.

Best rate and best angle are determined by excess power and excess thrust. It is not a set speed (although the flight manual may, and usually will in lighter aircraft, stipulate a speed). They are also effected by aircraft weight and enviromental factors (temp, humidity ect).
The writting is on the wall as far as i'm concerned. When we are heavy we will climb out at a lesser RoC then when we are lighter (no-one should disagree with this bit at least) because we do not have as much excess power.
So considering 'blue line' is a best rate speed, and 'red line' is best angle speed, why must you climb at those speeds if you are lighter. Larger a/c reduce their V1, Rotate and V2 speeds depending on a/c weight. Why should a little C310 driver accept a negitive rate of climb just because he's a guru pilot and has pegged 100 kts (or whatever it is for them) when 95 kts for example may give him a positive RoC.

As for Red Line, people are scared of it because it is often close to Vmca. Well, if I had an engine failure on TKOF and there was an obsticle in my way and turning was out of the question, well then yes, as best angle RoC I will fly it.
So Karrank
you'd have to be completely anal to do what you have been taught and practiced in a REAL failure
I agree. What you get taught is not always the best way to do it in real life (although I dont think Karrank was agreeing with me)

As for the mountain waves. See above. If you are bashing along in a C172 and Best Rate is say 68 kts, but 65 gave you an extra 100 fpm RoC, you would be a fool in my opinion to 'PEG' the 68 kts.