PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do you find most annoying about our job???
Old 6th Jun 2006, 04:35
Groundlover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all, I don't know why I did but I found this thread and decided to read it from start to finish. I must say as SLF and not CC, I do feel that some of the comments posted by CC make me feel liek I am not really welcome as a pax on your flight. I totally appreciate the fact that repitious comments and generally stupid or rude people are gonna get under anyones skin, but I think some of the comments made, although made in jest are in essence genuine gripes you have with your pax.

Personally I would hate to think that just because I have asked a genuinely valid question in my mind that you may have heard many times before, I could potentially be met with a clandestine roll of the eyes.

Some of your gripes come across as unreasonable and personally think that whatever work environment one partakes in, should always make an effort to be positive and enthusiastic, easier said than done I know.

I would say 80% of the time I have great flights but from reading some of the posts I feels like there is some common thread or negativity running thought the CC vocation which seems a great shame.

I know the pay 'can be' pretty low in relation to what you have to both mentally and physically endure but this is a choice you made and it does have some great benefits.

To fulfil the requests of 'reasonable' passengers professionally, with theirs and your safety being paramount seems completely reasonabel to me.

I know this sounds like I am taking this far too seriously but I do believe that moaning (however valid), even under the guise of humour can be infectious and in turn damaging to those you work alongside. I am totally respectful whoeever is serving me (and I mean serving as a service rather than a waiter) but there have been numerous times when I have been met with unprovoked sour overtones that really make or break it with me, on whether the flight was any good.

It can be a big deal for people like me who choose to fly with a particular airline (the world's favourite) every week. Like yourselves no one should be on the receiving end of rude or over demanding people but from some of the comments like opening a toilet doot by the ashtray, would seem to be like a design fault if it happens repeatedly, rather than simply a stupid pax.

I think in these times, people are less tolerant of each other. It's not like flying many moons ago where the vast majority behaved themselves impeccably. People are more demanding and less tolerant and rude. I am not makiing excuses for it but it is a fact and therefore I feel it is important to differentiate between the ideal situation you would like to be in and your actual real life situation your career poses.

I love a friendly and entusiatic crew but like with pax, do witness some constrasting behaviour when onboard.

Have fun in your career.