PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight International article on stress at LCC's.
Old 5th Jun 2006, 20:36
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This ain't new. Studies have been done for years. What has improved? Nowt. Here's another study. What's your faith in it? Nowt!

Pilots are being treated like monkeys & robots. If you want to know if a roster pattern is tiring you do not ask a computer; you ask the people, human beings. Everyday the advertisers are telling us we are all different. Thus they design tailored made solutions to please us.To hell with computer studies; ask the sharp end! we are all above average educated career minded people. We do not want to commit commercial suicide, but also do not want to die to young either. B%^$oks to computer models and studies. Bring back the human ape.

RYR's stable roster sleeping in your own bed etc. etc? Oh Yeah! Speaking to friends, many of whom do not live at their nominated base, therefore do not sleep in their own bed; another false quote. 2nd. If you fly 5 earlies you get out of bed at 04.00 for a 0530 report. if you fly lates you go to bed at 00.30. Families tend to live to a different schedule which conflicts with that. You demand priority; try telling the kids/neighbours to shut up at 21.00 as you have to sleep. Try not waking up at 0700 as the family stirs for a normal day. Try not p!@#ing off your family as you get up at 04.00. Sleeping in your own bed with such a roster is not the best, a hotel is. In a 2 week period of 5/3/5/3 you would have 3-4 evenings for a normal family dinner. A not so wonderful contributor to family cohesion. Forget doing night classes or playing for a sports team; even having any kind of regular hobby. No flexibility. It is work and sleep, but little play. The old UK masocistic social attitude of 'live to work'! And here come the diet gurus who tell you to try the Meditarrenian diet and prolong your years. It ain't the food, it is the way of life. And plese don't anyone, least of all smelly camel, tell me I should not have become a pilot if I didn't like the lifestyle. Read the article. It has changed out of all recognition. Meanwhile there is a drive to improve the overall enviroment and working condifitons of other professions, but that of aircrew is being steadfastly and deliberately forced in the opposite direction.

This debate has been done many times on Prune. I do not want to open it up all again. But some of the twaddle quoted in that article has to be refuted.

So to hell with boffins and computers. Ask the family.