PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying in Somalia
View Single Post
Old 5th Jun 2006, 10:49
nutcracker43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Di_Vosh
Hi all,
I'm currently in OZ, but I may be going to Somalia in a few months time to do some aid work with an NGO (NOT in Mogadishu). We (NGO and I) are at a very early planning stage right now, and there is a POSSIBILITY of AME being part of the aid work.
So what I'm after is information on flying in Somalia:
1. Whether it's possible (Fixed wing - Twin engine piston).
2. What Authorities would be involved, and what licences would I need
3. Where I could find publications such as charts, airport listings/layouts, etc.
4. What civilian organisations are currently flying in Somalia and their contact details
Thanks in advance.
DIVOSH!
You're currently in Oz...stay there...Somalia is not a good place to be...

Fixed wing flying is possible...we did it in '94 but whether the locals would allow one to land/depart is entirely another matter. Strips had to be secured and policed by guards which had to be hired from the local poulace...not altogether the most reliable situation.

Authorities...there are no authorities...there is no government. I worked with the UN at the time and the licences needed were those from my home country.

Magadishu was the only airport capable of accepting anything large and even then, all of the aids had been trashed by the locals. The RAAF provided whatever ATC was available.

Don't know of any civilian operators operating there...perhaps the UN might help you there.

Good luck.

NC43