PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 5th Jun 2006, 04:48
L1011

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Choices....

G4 - I am lurker in this forum but a few guys know who I am and know that I am among the longest serving group of pilots here. I do not broadcast my views very much, but suffice to say this town has changed dramatically.
What is your current status? Are you an airline pilot on furlough, flying corporate as your handle implies? Or are you in an airline job in the US?
Your decision is a tough one. As a young man I made a similar one 16+ years ago to come to Dubai and I have no regrets.
Financially, you will live well on an EK package but doubt you will save much. The early adopters who bought houses seem to have done very well, but prices are now at western levels, with none of the protections or priviledges.
The emotional or psychological shift is much harder. Remember that becoming an expat is a one-way street. There is no 'going back' - don't ever kid yourself on that one. If you have family and roots where you are, earn a liveable wage and have career prospects, my advice would be to stay there.
The choice is yours - think about it, make it and NEVER look back.