PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mode S Consultation
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2006, 19:08
VP959

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
IO540,

I hope you are right about this cost not being forced onto microlights, powered hang gliders, paramotors etc, but suspect that unless the views of this large group of recreational aviators are aired to the powers-that-be we WILL be lumbered with such an imposition.

Let's not forget that conventional light aircraft GA is heading towards becoming a minority in the recreational aviation market in the UK. If conventional light aircraft aren't already outnumbered by microlights, powered hang gliders and paramotors, I suspect that they will be before too long.

I may be wrong, as I don't have the statistics to hand, but a quick scan though the new registrations page in any of the magazines shows where the market growth is. It's also worth remembering that unregistered paramotors and powered hang gliders now outnumber microlights. They don't show in any published statistics, yet make up a sizeable proportion of the recreational aircraft sector and are impacted by this proposed legislation.

We must not let conventional GA thinking, by a few well-heeled souls who couldn't care less about spending another few thousand on their hobby, spoil the pitch for those of us not in such a privileged position.

VP