PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wind
Thread: Wind
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2006, 18:52
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wondered where would one want to go in a 150 if it was 30-50kts. on the deck ? Doesn't that make it about 70kts. at 2000ft ?
Just to clarify, my personal limit is 40kt. The experience I related regarding 50kt I was outside the aircraft, and the engine was not running!

There are two reasons why I fly in this weather. The first is to show my students (who are at a suitably advanced stage of their training) what it is like. The second is when I have particularly obstinate trial lessons who, when I explain that it's possible to fly but I recommend they wait for a day when it's less windy, decide to ignore my advice and go anyway. (Incidentally, these trial lesson students have, without exception, enjoyed it - I assume that's because the kind of people who would not enjoy it are more likely to follow my advice!)

It's true that you don't get very far. From an instructor's point of view, when doing a trial lesson which is supposed to last a particular length of time, it's a little challenging. A 30 minute lesson might involve something around 20 minutes into wind, followed by 10 minutes downwind, but you can be pretty sure that you'll mis-judge it by at least 5 minutes one way or the other!

FFF
-------------